Friday, September 27, 2013

Another type of Top 5

My immediate family has sort have been “adopted” as extended relations by a group of three wonderful sisters who all used to babysit for me.  Two of the sisters even live next door to each other in a bustling “Compound”, full of kids who are more like siblings than cousins, running back and forth from one yard to the next.  It is sort of a crazy place, also often referred to as “the vortex”, because I spend a few hours there and the next thing I know, I’ve had no less than three meals and several glasses of wine and my “aunt” is trying to throw an old nightgown at me and convince me that I should sleep on the pullout couch, as though I were still 10 years old and still inclined toward sleepovers.  “I’ll make a big brunch before we all head to the festival on the green tomorrow!”  Recently, my mother was leaving the Compound, (a rare and difficult feat), saying how nice it is to be honorary members of their family.  The response: “I’m sorry Jo-Anna, but you’ve been demoted.  You are family.”

These honorary cousins have this great game.  It’s an ongoing thing called “Top 5”.  Everyone is constantly compiling and revising their list of Top 5 things that they hate.  The only rule is that you can’t include anything obvious in your personal list.  For example, you can’t use “mean people” as a top 5, because everyone hates mean people.  Also, vindictiveness is not the point of this game.  Something on a Top 5 list has to have a charming level of obscurity.  The lists have been evolving with revisions for years. 

My own personal Top 5 include:

2. Those plastic straw wrappers that are found on juice boxes (They stick to everything!)
3. Rapid channel-changing
4. The word “chutney”
5. This one seems to be ever-changing for everyone, but for right now, we’ll go with “Sweet jello dishes on savory plates of food”

Here, for your entertainment, a random sampling of some great all-time Top 5’s from the family:

1. Turkeys
2. Men in jean shorts
3. Birds in general
4. De-greasing pizza with napkins (greasiness being part of the inherent essence of pizza)
5. Hot fruit
6. “Murses” (man purses)
7. Weathermen
8. Obligatory group clapping
9. Automatic toilet flushers in public restrooms followed by non-automatic sinks
10. Kites (“What’s the point?”)

Feel free to share your Top 5!

2 comments:

  1. When people over the age of 14 use the word "yummy" to describe delicious food.

    ReplyDelete