Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A wicked good time

          If you are wondering in suspense how I did at the company outing, I did not, in fact trip and fall on my face or lose the final point for my team. The theme this year was a “Townie tour of Boston”. So we were shipped in vans to various points of the city, including Revere Beach, Bunker Hill, Castle Island and finally the Aquarium and the waterfront Marriot Residence Inn for dinner and dancing (and drinking). At each point there were two challenges presented: a team challenge and then a personal challenge, for a representative from each team. Highlights of the challenges included a potato sack race, a marshmallow shooting contest and “Pin the speedo on the guido” (Revere Beach). We drew numbers at the beginning of the day and when my number came up at the penultimate personal challenge, lo and behold, I was told I had to sing an Irish ditty while wearing a pot-of-gold costume. I felt pretty lucky. I chose "Oh Danny Boy" and apparently, my performance kept my team from losing completely. We came in 4th out of 6 teams.

          Aside from the team awards, they were giving away Flip video cameras for personal categories such as “Best team spirit” and “Best competitor overall”. I felt sure that I would win the award for “Best performance”. Sadly, it went to Ed Flynn for his stunning display of ramen-noodle-mouth-exodus during the eating contest. Alas. Ed may have taken my victory in the form of a swanky piece of technological equipment but I walked away with the knowledge that my athletic retardation was not put on display. Ok, I still would have liked that camera.

This link is not for the faint-hearted:
http://blog.mmbinteractive.com/2010/08/immortalized/

1 comment:

  1. "pin the speedo on the guido" at revere beach? sounds like my kinda outing.

    ReplyDelete